Friday, December 14, 2012

Two weeks to go

Okay, so now that I got confirmation I have what I need to start the visa process (FINALLY) I need to get ready to head to Russia. This means a lot of shopping. A LOT!!!! As I am moving to place which actually has four seasons, I need to make sure I have clothes for all kinds of weather ranging from "Holy mother of GOD, I think my brains are frozen" to "Jeez I wish the world had air conditioning". This isn't to say Russia won't have stores to purchase things I need, however, with the introduction of capitalism to the mix and the fact Russia is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live, I am stocking up on as much as I can here. Plus I remember how difficult it was finding clothes to fit me right in the Czech Republic, and I don't think Austria or Germany is going to be quiet such an easy trip.

The problem with moving to a place where the winter temperatures regularly dip to -20 c or lower for three months or so out of the year is I have never had to really deal with weather this extreme. It got cold in Ceske Budejovice, but never that cold for that long. So I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and daunted at the prospect of having to guessitmate what I am going to need. I have a feeling it is one of those things where no matter how much research I do, no matter how prepared I think I am, it isn't going to be enough.

Then there is the language thing. A completely different alphabet with more letters and an entirely different phonetic base. GAH!!!! I mean, it is me. I do love languages, but I am a little freaked out. I think I will take classes at the University, rather than paying for private lessons. I tend to do better when there is a professor and homework involved.

Well I better get cracking rather than sit here and dwell on what I need to get done. GAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment