Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Just wandering and babbling today

I think Halloween may be the end of tourist season here, or the rainy weather kept them all inside. The streets were delightfully empty today as I ran a few errands down in the Grafton street/Temple Bar area earlier and enjoyed the Irish weather. I swear rain here is different than anywhere else in the world. It is soft, like a dense fog, which leaves you damp more than wet. And while this dampening kept those on holiday either in their native countries or safe inside their hotle rooms, the locals seemed to take this reprieve to take to the streets and get stuff done with out having to stop every four seconds for people taking photos or listening to the buskers. It was perfectly efficient.

It is little strange for me to be in a place which doesn't have Thanksgiving to break up things between the end of October and the holiday season (not that there is much of a break in America either). The lights have gone up on Grafton street and almost every store I went into today had the smell of Christmas, that spicey heaviness floating everywhere. I love it. I am looking forward to watching the holiday season unfold over the next month before I head back to the States for a visit.

I am still in complete wonder everytime I walk around here. I always seem to find something wonderful down a street I never knew existed. Today it was an amazing indoor market place and a great little baking supply shop just off the Grafton insanity. A few days ago it was a brilliant farmers market just off Henry street. Who knows what it will be tomorrow. I am looking forward to finding out... that is if this cold I feel coming doesn't kick my ass first. Oh well. Maybe I'll just head down to the National Library and listen to Yeats' fairy tales being read out loud. Maybe there will be tea there too. I like tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment